Thursday, April 14, 2005

Young adults searching spiritually

CNN has an article about a survey of college students' spiritual interest. It confirms, I think, much of what we've been hearing.

One interesting tidbit:

"I think one thing (the report) reflects, compared to what we found with teenagers is (college-aged students) are starting to branch out somewhat in their thinking and their exploring," Smith said. "We found very little spiritual questing and exploring among kinds in middle school and high school."

I think it would be interesting to do our own surveying of U of M students (sort of like we did at the Art Fair, but more focused on students) and see what we find.

2 Comments:

At 4/16/2005 05:40:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I think the U-M school year is probably nearly over, so it be best to wait until the fall, I suppose.

 
At 4/18/2005 09:53:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not sure of the exact questions they are using. I'd like to devise questions that can give us insight into the worldview of the students and where they fall with respect to some of the issues we've been discussing. Here are some initial thoughts:

• Whether they think of themselves as spiritually searching
• Do you currently identify yourself with a religious tradition?
• Is spiritual truth more likely to be found by following an established religious tradition, or by find your own way?
• What comes to mind when hearing "Jesus"
• What comes to mind when hearing "Christian"

 

<< Home